Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The beautiful game

Call it football or soccer it is still, across all continents, the beautiful game. When performed to its utmost this game is simply magical to watch. When a play is completed to perfection it becomes it is so seamless and graceful that it is impossible not too at least utter "Wow". I have found that this word is almost a knee jerk reaction when a great goal, shot, save, or sequence of passes is made. This World Cup has offered plenty of "Wow" moments.
The World Cup is now in its quarterfinal stage as only eight teams remain. There is a two day hiatus before action gets back underway. This gives the world a chance to take a breath before the craziness begins again. I had my doubts, like many others, that South Africa would be able to pull it off without a hitch. I can honestly say that I have been extremely impressed with what has been done here thus far. In fact, the only trouble that has existed in this World Cup has been the refereeing. Time will tell how that gets resolved, and we all hope that there will not be additional controversy in the games to come. So far, I have visited Cape Town, saw a game in Durban - at perhaps the most immaculate facility I have ever seen a game in (Still have yet to go to Texas Stadium, which I'm sure rivals anything else) - saw a game in Pretoria, and I am set to see games in Joburg and back to Durban. In all places the security has been top notch, transport has been relatively easy and inexpensive (only in terms of shuttles and public transport, whereas taxis are on the expensive side), and there have been FIFA "volunteers" to help direct you to where you need to go. It's typically a good idea to ask a few of these volunteers since they are often so willing to help that they'll give you incorrect information. All in all, the effort of South Africa has been superb, and I am told the influx into the infrastructure and national pride could not have come at a better time.

There is the controversy surrounding the vuvuzela, the "musical" noisemaker that resembles a swarm of bees, heard during all the matches. I must admit I now own three, two I bought and one was gifted to me. I also must admit that when I play it sounds more like a dying cow than anything close to its proper sound. While the television presents the vuvuzela as an annoying background noise I've seen some great playing by spectators. The players of the bugle will create rhythms that others will finish. Last night during the Paraguay vs. Japan match, the Japanese drum and the vuvuzela were paired for a great concerto, or something to that effect. I am in favor of the vuvuzela, and, perhaps it is due to the hearing loss I've suffered as a result of it, but I feel it has a permanent part in the game. The problem as I see it is that it is overused, most likely due to its novelty. I due miss the melodic chants and the beating of the drums, but, as I saw in the Japan game, there is room for compromise.
There are 11 days left of this World Cup and I find myself now looking forward to going to Brazil in 2014. There is unbelievable energy here, and it feels like the UN with so many languages and cultures celebrating together. Things like this need to happen more often. This beautiful game shows how alike we all are. It shows how we too can dance gracefully and in harmony with each other. It is vital to have a venue where this dance can be performed. A place where we are introduced to people we never would have met otherwise. The beautiful game is not simply beautiful because of what occurs on the pitch, it is much more beautiful for what it does off the pitch.






1 Comments:

Blogger ps72947 said...

Your writing gets better with time. I told everyone that you would come back with a vuvuzela - and now you have three! You and Dave and Chris should give us a concert. :) The 4th approaches and we will be at Dave's and then to "our spot" to watch the fireworks. Won't be the same without you. Love, Mom

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home