Monday, June 21, 2010

This, That, and Those


Admitedly, I had my doubts about South Africa being able to pull off such a huge undertaking like the World Cup. But they've taken the pitch with pride and slammed one into the back of the net. So far, I have been incredibly impressed. The energy is contagious and electric. The South African's have pride in themselves and the country they are creating. It is amazing to think that it has been around fifteen years since the end of Apartied. This nation is asserting an identity of unity, and a desire to be exceptional. As an outsider I'm on the bandwagon. Could this World Cup be the turning point in South African's and Africa's development?


On to more selfish matters. I'm staying at an eclectic hostel in a section of east Cape Town called Observatory and will be here through the 27th when I head to Durban. Observatory is a little alternative enclave with dreaded fellows walking around and a laidback vibe. The hostel I'm staying at is "Obviously Armchair" which should give some insight into its mood. Obviously is relaxed by day, but then the attached pub, which is unfortunately located directly underneath my room, comes alive at night. There's a tattoo shop down the street - no plans to partake as yet - and a pool house across from the hostel, which is actually where most of the noise is blasted from. After a few nights I have learned to live with the noise and I'm sleeping better by the night.

Yesterday, I traveled to Robben Island, the prison island where
Nelson Mandela was held. If you've seen the movie Invictus you get a great picture of the confines. Robben Island has been compared with Alcatraz due to its island location and the surrounding shark infested waters (which I hazard to guess are many times worse here in Cape Town. After taking the standard bus and walking tour, I decided to seek out the island's African penguin population. In so doing, though, I missed the return boat and was stuck on the island for two more hours as a penance. Far shorter than many of the prisoners (freedom fighters?) whose cells I'd visited. So, I now had more time to venture out on my own. I spent the next couple hours walking through the prison, spending some quiet time outside Mandela's cell, and looking for penguins with an English gentleman who'd also missed the boat. Whenever possible in life, I'd highly recommend "missing the boat". Take time to journey away from the norm, smell the flowers outside of the box. A wise lady once said to me, "It is easier to apologize than to ask for permission".

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

So great to have you back on the blog! I always have and probably always will enjoy reading what you have written :) Keep it coming!

1:01 PM  
Blogger ps72947 said...

Ghana is victorious. Sad for the US. England vs Germany tomorrow. Post more. We miss you.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home