Sunday, June 27, 2010

The beat goes on

I am still reeling from the US loss to Ghana, as I'm sure many of you are as well. I found comfort, though, in one thing last night. After the Ghana win I went out onto to Long Street - the Broadway of Cape Town - to watch the celebration. What I saw was all Africans coming together to salute Ghana for their strong play and the continuing of their tournament. It brought a smile to my face to see such exuberance and unity from a continent. So, Americans, all is not lost. There are only four more years until Brazil.

I've been rather busy lately, thus the reason for my lack of posts. There is so much to do and see here in Cape Town, and, for the most part, the weather has cooperated with my agenda. I took a tour of the Cape, visiting the Cape of Good Point, Seal Island, and saw more African penguins. I hiked up Table Mountain, a dominant plateau in the center of Cape Town that offers amazing views of the peninsula and city. I even went diving with Great White Sharks. Granted we were well protected in a cage, but it was an amazing and changed all the stereotypes I had of sharks. They are truly beautiful, inquisitive, and docile kings of the deep.

I'm now off to Durban, which is on the southeast coast of South Africa for my first match, Netherlands vs. Slovakia. My next match after that is Japan vs. Paraguay. Dave, I will be cheering for Japan for you, no worries.

Sorry for such a short post, but I'll be off to the airport hear shortly and want to be sure I get the following pics published.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home