Thursday, January 18, 2007

Shout out to my South African Fam

Over a year ago, I spent about a month in a South African hospital. My dad came out to visit for a week, and the local Peace Corps doctor, Leanne Milton, saw me almost daily. Besides that my day was filled with reruns of American TV, some SA Afrikaans/English programming, and cricket (I didn't think there was a sport worse than baseball). However, my days were also filled with a family who made me feel at home even though I was 8,000 miles away. When my dad visited he stayed at a local bed and breakfast owned by a vivacious and positive lady named Erika, her hard-working and equally optimistic husband, and their daughter, Sigi, a caring and adventurous young lady. Erika and Sigi visited me nearly every day and will never know the enormous impact they had on me. Erika and her husband are still running the bed and breakfast - I hope to visit them soon- and Sigi has made her way to London. I urge you to visit Sigi's blog and see what all she's up to: sigiblog.blogspot.com. Thank you is not enough to express my gratitude. Miles away from any sense of normal and it is amazing the comforts that emerge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home