Friday, September 30, 2005



Work. To some it is a dangerous word. Filled with negativity and grave implications. Me? I’ve actually been looking forward to it. (Please reread the previous sentence before continuing. I had to. I wasn’t quite sure I’d written it.)

I began my traditional, brick-and-mortar type work this week at CamCCUL (To break out the acronym: Cameroon Cooperative Credit Union League). The League of CamCCUL I’m working with is based in Kumba, and oversees 14 Credit Unions in the region. Their aim is to end poverty in Cameroon. Based mainly in the Anglophone provinces, CamCCUL traces its roots back to 1963, just after Cameroonian independence and reunification. Essentially, my aim is to help the organization with audits, training, and any other random wisdom I may be able to impart.

I suppose I should take a moment to thank “The One-S-T”, FirstBank in layman circles, without whom I would be, well, lost. I know that my experience there will be invaluable for my work here. Thanks to all who were immensely patient with me and took the time to share their knowledge.

With that important “shout out” out of the way, work, oddly, is why I am here. Sure the endless novelty, challenge of travel, and cross-cultural experience is a plus, but I came here to help develop communities and help people to help themselves. Thus far, I’ve met several people in the League who have the same passion I have, tenfold. They are determined to unite community resources and pull themselves out of poverty. Despite battling against incredible odds, of which I will not speak of here, it appears they are having some success. Membership in the Credit Unions has steadily increased, as have micro loans to members.

And now, a message from our sponsors…

Have you ever been thirsty? I know I have. Heck! I’m thirsty right now! And what’s better when your month is dry as a Puritanical New Years party than a drink? Good thing in Cameroon there’s a drink stop, bar in American English, every five feet. So, what’ll it be? Beer or a sweet? Two brasseries control the beer market here, so beer choice is limited. Will you choose the Cameroon brasserie, offering a fine assortment of beers that all taste about the same, with one exception, Castle Milk Stout, my personal favorite, OR will it be the Guinness brasserie? That’s right kids; the same Irish brewery you know and love is now a Cameroonian staple. Worried about price? Quantity? No worries! Beers come in .65 Liter bottles, almost 30 ounces, and cost less than a dollar. Quite the deal! Worried about becoming a soccer hooligan after drinking too much? No fear, sweets are also available. Sweets come in all flavors, so they’re guaranteed to have one you enjoy: Coca-cola (American wine), orange Fanta, Sprite, and a wide variety of fruity drinks from banana to grapefruit to grenadine. My favorite is the Cameroonian, bottled in Douala, D-Jino. A blend of several fruits and filled to the brim with sugar.

WARNING!!! Peace Corps volunteers have reported withdrawal headaches from D-Jino after returning to the states; so make sure to take a couple of crates back with you.

We now return to our regularly scheduled blog…
My future work schedule is filled with board meeting and audit observations. If that sounds dry and boring, I assure you, in Cameroon nothing is. For the rest of the year, I aim to learn as much as possible about the system and the organization. I’m hopeful from time to time I may be able to offer some of them wisdom pearls. In addition, I’m working to be a part of the Peace Corps SED Steering Committee, so I can help decide the future of our program. The fun will continue. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home